Design Wall Monday 7/8/13

Here's my compass for the Love Entwined Coverlet. First one I've ever made.  And it was paper piecing, ugh - not my favorite, but I learned a good bit from making it.  First off if one folds the paper at the sewing line, making sure of the correct seam allowance is easy. If the piece you're adding is roughly a larger version of the one on the paper, it's usually the right size, but to be sure, I made an extra copy of the section and cut it up and used it to determine rectangles for each part. A trick I learned from Esther Aliu - is color one of the segments so you don't sew the wrong piece to the wrong place. And - if you do them assembly style, it doesn't seem like such a chore to make 8 segments (cuz most paper pieced blocks are more than one segment - LOL).  Phew! I got through the sewing with only one seam to rip. Oh and the center is appliqued. Except for the background, this will be a big scrappy quilt. Now for the ring around it.

I'm linking to Judy's Patchwork Times, Esther's Wow, and Lyn's BOMs Away  as this is part of a 18 month BOM.  What are you up to?

12 comments:

  1. I've yet to try paper piecing. You have nice suggestions. You have made a striking compass with nice points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your bright compass. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! it looks awesome. I am not a fan of paper piecing either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is seriously stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All these years of quilting and this is your first paper piecing, wow. And such a wonderful choice in colors. Love it!
    I have a hard time with all the waste that goes with p/p. But the results are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy smokes that is BEAUTIFUL!! I've been thinking about this one, I'm saving the patterns - it's gonna be a head turner that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhhhh Angie! This is just wonderful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bright and beautiful - wonderful! Good luck with your little circles!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Real pretty! love the bright colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the colors you chose! I'm thinking of embroidering it, as a woman in Canada is, too. I haven't started anything, though. This is not a good month to start something new.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a stunner your compass is, I can't wait to see what you do with the rest of the pattern. It's always nice to start so well

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. It's always nice to hear from you. I try to reply to each and every one of you, but sometimes life gets in the way. I hope you understand. Blessings.

All Comes to A Halt

 Sighhhh....  While I was quilting I  ran my finger, somehow, under the needle. Went right through my left index fingernail right through to...