Urban Mistake

I got a new ruler!  I was admiring Sue Dario's wonderful Urban Nine Patches that I decided to learn more about it and before I knew it, I had ordered the ruler.  It came yesterday and I was bound and determined to make a block today after watching Sew Kind of Wonderful's videos - they are so good.  Made my nine - patch and in my haste cut it wrong.  Okay thought I'd use a solid fussy cut piece.  Found one I liked and cut that out.  Messed up again -so back to the tutorial.  This time I got it right!  Then to start sewing.  Three of the 4 curves turned out nifty - but the fourth one wasn't cooperating, so after taking out the seam twice, figured out where I was placing the two pieces wrong together.  Sewed the third time and all was good.  Now to square it up - It's too small - YIKES!  Now what?  I decided to make a miniquilt with it.  Here's how far I got:
I may add another border.  As it is now it is 11 1/4" square.  I went to close the tutorial and realized, Jenny said to square to 8" not 8 1/2 = grrrrrrrrh - I didn't mess up after all!  Moral of story, don't try a new ruler when your tired and in a hurry.  Say Jenny - I see a whole quilt out of blocks like this one - maybe you can design another quilt.  Thanks for a great ruler and blocks.

10 comments:

  1. It turned out really beautiful. That's some fabric in the middle...wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Jenny's Quick Curve ruler. I've found that every new item I try takes a test block of two before I get it right. Love that you did a fussy cut with it, looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me work on that new pattern......:o)
    Yes, testing is always good...also, since you used one fabric, it may tend to stretch more when sewing because of the bias....you could spray starch your fabric to help stabilize it. If only you could see ALL my practice blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just purchased Jenny's new ruler too and I can't wait to try it out! Thanks for the head's up to make sure I am ready for new things :*) Love your block!!! The fussy cutting is awesome :*)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful block, love that center fabric! Oh no........another ruler I don't have....will have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did the same thing with the fussy cut center on a couple, just too pretty to cut up! Yours looks great even with that extra little bit. The way you have yours makes it look like a cathedral window. I think a few blocks like that, then when quilting add some fmq and you have a quilt that looks like cathedral windows. Pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think a whole quilt of the crane fabric centers would be stunning. Maybe you could alternate the red/white and or add a black into it. Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another gadget I need? LOL! Cute block!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another gadget I need? LOL! Cute block!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm thinking of that ruler, but I want to do the traditional and I'm not sure it will do that...make that white piece sort of a foot-ball and sew it to another 9-patch? Would that work? So I keep looking around to see if someone uses it that way.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. It's always nice to hear from you. I try to reply to each and every one of you, but sometimes life gets in the way. I hope you understand. Blessings.

All Comes to A Halt

 Sighhhh....  While I was quilting I  ran my finger, somehow, under the needle. Went right through my left index fingernail right through to...